Terms & Privacy Policy

TERMS & PRIVACY POLICY

Our terms of service are listed below. In case you have any additional questions, please contact us.

 

For catering, upon confirmation of the booking, a deposit of 30% of the total invoice will be required. The remaining 70% should be paid on the day or within 7 days of the event by prior negotiation.

 

Cancelations

 

If you need to cancel your function, the following terms apply:

 

Less than 8 weeks notice = initial deposit lost
Less than 6 weeks notice = 50% of the total invoice will be charged
Less than 48 hours notice = the full invoice amount will be charged.

 

Supper Club & Bread Classes tickets will normally be paid upfront. Because we buy the exact food and supplies in anticipation of your arrival if you cancel, the food will go to waste. If you must cancel, we kindly ask you to try and find a replacement for your seat and let us know as soon as possible. 

Cancelations

 

If you cannot make it to the event these are the conditions:

 

Less than 8 weeks notice = initial deposit lost
Less than 6 weeks notice = 50% of the total invoice will be charged
Less than 48 hours notice = no refund.

Privacy Statement 

 

We at BENCH Rest are committed to long lasting relationships with our clients. We always ensure our clients rights to privacy is fully maintained and protected.

We do not share, disclose any data we collect to any third party. Any discussions or correspondence by any method remains totally confidential between BENCH Rest and our clients. We do not collect client contact data or store it on any type of CRM system. We do however, keep a record of menus, quotations, orders, payments and emails relating to specific client functions which are stored on a secured PC. The data which we do collect is only used exclusively by us for reference purposes only.

In line with GDPR legislation which came into effect on 25th May 2018. BENCH Rest assumes that you consent to us holding this data – unless you specifically advise us to the contrary.